Friday, June 26, 2009

Diabetes


Last Thursday I went to the doctor and was told I have diabetes. It runs in both sides of my family so I kind of expected it at some point in my life, but at 26 I was not quite ready for it. The doctor decided not to put me on insulin or medication yet but did give me a glucose monitor for me to randomly check my blood sugar and I meet with her in a couple of weeks for her to review my numbers and then make a plan. I immediately called my dad (he is diabetic as well) when I got home from the doctor and picked his brain about what to do. He himself has struggled with it for many years but just recently he has gotten to the point where he has almost zero symptoms. He said that eating healthy and exercising each day has been what has helped him- not the medications. So, that's my plan and I'm hoping I'll be able to avoid the medication and insulin. I am counting my calories and my carbs each day and I have been walking at least 30 minutes each day. It's only been a week but I feel fantastic. My energy has increased already! My blood sugar numbers have been in the normal range all except for one reading- and again this has been with no help to medication or insulin. I am hoping that I can continue to stay motivated with this new lifestyle and get to a point where I am a lot healthier. It has been so wonderful the past few weeks to finally be feeling good again. I continue to pray for both Michael and I to feel well and get healthier. Our health has definitely been our family's struggle for the last several years and we are grateful for the blessing we've been given to be feeling better.

No comments: