Friday, November 21, 2008

Emotional Week

Robert entered the MTC on Wednesday. It was a really neat experience but a very emotional one too! I took Monday-Wednesday off work to be with him those days. Monday we ran errands together and got him packed- it really hit me when we were packing that he's really leaving! Then we all played rock band together and video taped him a bunch!! Then we went out to dinner with the whole family at Tucano's which was nice. Then Tuesday we ran more errands to get the things he was still needing for him, did his laundry and just spent time talking. That night we went over to the stake center and he was set apart as a missionary. I was a total baby and couldn't stop crying. The blessing he was given was beautiful and made us feel a little better about him going. We went home afterwards and had another family dinner and then just spent a couple hours talking together. Wednesday morning we got there early and everyone was getting ready. We left about 10:15 and took pictures around the MTC with the man of the hour. Then we all met in the chapel and we all sang called to serve and I lost it. (Why does my family take me anywhere???) The mission president and his wife spoke about how hard it is but what a blessing it is at the same time. They promised to take care of our missionaries and promised they will be safe and loved. Then it was time for goodbyes. I got the first hug and i didn't want to let him go. It was pretty emotional and we were all crying (even dad, although he claims it was dusty in the room!!) When we were done with hugs Robert realized everyone else was still hugging so we did round 2 of hugs. Then he headed to the one end of the room and we exited at the other end. I was totally balling, but the rest of the family was doing pretty well, even Mom!! Robert did the cutest thing for my parents- he made a life size cut out of himself so that he'll be with us all the time. Its so stinkin cute, it makes us feel a little better! I'll post pictures of that when I get home. He's going to be such a good missionary and we are so so proud of him. We are just really going to miss him! We've sent him packages each day so far (including one the first day he was there) and have quite a few lined up still. We're shooing for one each day. He is in the MTC until December 9th and then flies to the Peru MTC then and will be there a few weeks.
Anyway, it's been an emotional week like I said. I keep catching myself thinking about him and I tear up- that goes away eventually right??

2 comments:

BAWC said...

is this your little brother? things will get better, he will be doing some good work for the people in peru.

Betsy said...

Yep, it's my little brother!! I can't even believe it!